Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Weekend Report

This past week was General Conference Weekend * for our family. I know that to someone who is not of our faith, spending the weekend watching four- 2 hr sessions of church on TV does not sounds like anything to get excited about. But the truth is that Conference weekends are some of my favorite weekends of the year and I look forward to them for many different reasons.

Firstly, I love to listen to the uplifting messages of our church leaders. I always come away feeling rejuvenated and refocused on the things that are most important in my life..... my family and my journey as a follower of Jesus Christ. After conference I find that worldly worries are a little less worrisome and I am rededicated and focused on what really matters most.

Another thing I love about Conference weekend is all the family time. The family spends two days watching conference together, in front of the TV, wearing our pajamas, all snuggled up in quilts. It's great family time! This year in between the Saturday morning & afternoon session we took a drive out to a local airshow. We didn't have time to go in and see everything, so we parked the car and watched the airplanes fly for 45 min before heading back.

The last thing I love about Conference weekend is the food! We eat our way through the weekend. Homemade cinnamon rolls are tradition in our family for Saturday morning breakfast. We had a big family breakfast on Sunday and my wonderful husband made omlettes. I love it when my man cooks breakfast for me.....and love it even more when he cleans up afterwards! And of course there were all sorts of treats and goodies to munch on while watching....because I learned long ago that the children listen best when their mouths are full!

*The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints "gathers" twice a year to receive council from our prophet and other church leaders. Meetings are held on Saturday and Sunday at church headquarters in Salt Lake City and are broadcast by satellite to reach a world wide congregation.

1 comment:

KLARK Nehring said...

I know what you mean about Conference. This one was amazing! I was very inspired by several of the talks and can't wait to get back and talk to my Valiant B class about some of it!