Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Lights and a Party or Two

No fun pictures to share this time. I was a lazy bum this weekend....but with good reason. It seems that I have a sinus infection and and am now on antibiotics. To add to that I caught whatever bug my kids have been passing around which left me wishing that I would start running a fever so that I could just crawl in bed and leave everyone to fend for themselves. The good news is that today- after 4 days of pill popping- I am starting to feel back to normal.

Friday night the Hubby Man took the kids to the Christmas party at church and I stayed home to rest. I figured that was fair because he had been off on a business trip while I had been home sick. So the kids went off with Dad to sing carols, decorate cookies and play games while I put on my sweats and crawled in bed to read. Bliss! He even put the kids to bed when they got home! Good man!

Saturday night my friend Amber threw her annual Christmas progressive dinner. This is one of the highlights of my holiday season and I look forward to it each year. Amber is amazing as she organizes a party for 20 couples. There are 4 courses: appetizers, salad, main dish and dessert. For the first 3 courses she makes assignments to four couples to host each course at their individual homes. The courses are small with 5 couples total at each house and it is great to visit with every one in a small setting. I also love seeing how everyone decorates for the holiday.....I'm nosey that way. At each course of the evening you have a different sets of couples so it is fun to mix and mingle during the night. Amber has all 40 people to her house at the end for dessert, games, and her famous peppermint eggnog shakes. Seriously yummy! We went home stuffed with good food and filled with the joy of good friends. Thanks Amber!

Sunday morning I awoke to the sound of my youngest barking in his bed to be let out. He likes to pretend he is a dogie lately. I took him back to snuggle in bed and the girls joined us. We all laid in bed singing Old Mc Donald and Monkeys jumping on the bed until we had to get up or be late for church. Which we almost were anyway! Then I spent a large part of church in the foyer because little man does not know how to be quiet. He has no volume control. So while he is happy- he is noisy. And...this is really fun...when he is tired of listening to the person talking he shouts AMEN really loud as if to clue them in that they have talked long enough. I tell ya this little one is full of personality!

After church we made pancakes for lunch, had a fire, listened to the rain, put on Christmas music, baked cookies, and just hung out. Pretty relaxing stuff! After dinner we had Family Night and talked about Christ and how He has given us the greatest gift of all . We talked about how Christ was always thinking of others and not about Himself. We tried to teach that being Christ like means giving of yourself and serving others.

Lastly we went on a drive to see the Christmas lights.....a family tradition every year. Then home for dessert and bedtime. I just love Christmas and how it helps us focus on what's really important in life. Family, friends and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments: