This morning I woke up feeling like a child on Christmas Eve morning. If I could just make it through this one day, tomorrow could deliver the results we've been working toward for months. I've never been a very political person and I've never worked on a political campaign before this election, but I have felt that Prop 8 was a fight for truth. And so I've made phone calls and walked precincts and displayed signs. This is a historic election for a lot of reasons and I feel that there is a lot at stake today as we gather as Americans to vote our conscience. It will be interesting to see what our collective conscience says about us as a nation.
I haven't tried to influence any ones vote sense the 1988 Dukakis/Bush election. In 1988 I was seventeen years old and a college freshman, fresh out of High School government class. I was full of democratic ideals, limited on life experience and really bummed that I was going to be too young to vote by a matter of weeks. So I did the next best thing. I convinced the guy that I was dating to abandon his Republican ways and vote Dukakis for me. All it took was some great hair and female charm.
(By time the 1992 election came around I had grown up some and had a change of ideals. My husband likes to think that he changed my loyalties , but really it was Bill Clinton that turned me into a Republican.)
This time I knew it would take more than great hair to influence my fellow Americans. So today I did the most American thing I can do . I VOTED. Then I went out and spent two hours putting door hangers on doors to get the vote out. It felt good to be a part of something larger that myself, to be a part of democracy. To know that I am free to have and share my opinion. It wasn't with out incident. A neighbor actually chased me down in his car, threw his door hanger at me and yelled in my face. That's okay because in this land he is entitled to his opinion too. I just wish he hadn't shared it so loudly. And tomorrow when all is said and done I know that I have taken a stand for TRUTH and RIGHT.
1 comment:
Finally checking back in...
Way to go Shannon!
Post a Comment