Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Ranting and Ravings of a CRAZY Cat Woman



I yelled at my neighbor today!

I use the term neighbor lightly. There is a man who lives in our neighborhood with his dog. We will call him Dog Man. The dog is a boxer , not that it makes any difference. I think they may live one street over.....but I am not sure. He walks with his dog everyday. Notice that I said walks with his dog......not walks his dog. There is a difference. This man walks while his dog walks, some distance ahead of him, dragging his leash. I have often wondered if this man was aware that the leash law stipulated that he needed to be holding the leash.

Before I go any further I need to preface the following story with the fact that there are two kinds of people in the world: dog people and cat people. I am a cat person.

Anyway, I am pulling out of my driveway this morning when I notice Dog Man riding his bike down the side street (we live on a corner) while his dog walks, dragging his leash , easily 15 feet ahead of his owner. Then I notice a small, black and white cat across the street, frozen in terror on the lawn. I pause in the drive to see how this drama is going to unfold. Suddenly the dog tenses as it sees the cat and...... the chase is on. The dog is a running, snarling blurr, and the poor cat is running as fast as it possibly can, mere inches ahead of the dog. I turn to see what Dog Man is doing, anticipating that he will be sprinting down the block on his bike in an attempt control his unruly beast. Instead I find him laughing!! LAUGHING!! And something inside me snapped! (Maybe because his dog had relieved it's bladder on my lawn one time too many.) I threw my car into park, jumped out the door and yelled at Dog Man that he might want to try holding on to that leash and I'm sure that the cat in question did not find this situation funny! I'm not sure what made me do it, but all I could think of was that poor, terrified cat. I wasn't concerned about poor Dog Man and the terror I'm sure he felt in having to face down a Crazy Cat Lady with P.M.S. (Pre-menstrual, Post-Menstrual, or Pre- Mental......I'm sure I'm one of them!) Anyway, he apologized and rode off down the street to retrieve his dog and I drove slowly down the block ready to call 911 if I found the dog with a cat in his mouth. I am happy to report that the cat got away. And I feel a little bit better knowing that I have helped to right one of the small injustices in the world. Until next time.....this is Crazy Cat Woman signing out.

6 comments:

KLARK Nehring said...

Go Shannon! Go!

dmd said...

I'm in stitches. The images that run through ones mind. I don't think that cat will want to hang out anywhere else -- you've made a friend for life. And perhaps dog man will avoid your little "corner" of the world from now on.

Kevin Nehring, PLS said...

Cat woman.... maybe.
Crazy... no.

Crazy is living alone with 200 cats.

jennie said...

Shannon, you are a riot. But, are you sure that there are only TWO types of people?

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid Jennie and I are on the same page, you missed one type of people. Love it!

Morrell Family said...

OK I love this story....Shannon you are hillarious! I love that you are not afraid to yell at strangers either. :) U seriously had me laughing out loud, I think I might have woke up my kids. Your blog is so entertaining, I'm serious about the whole writer thing.